By: David Levin (@davidlevin71)
All the buzz at the end of last week’s mini camp in Jacksonville was the statements by both Gus Bradley and David Caldwell that the team could take five quarterbacks to training camp. While it is not unheard of to do such a thing, the fact remains that more than likely only two will make the roster (53-man roster) and possibly two (Matt Scott and Jordan Rodgers) will be on the practice squad. I seriously doubt the Jaguars would carry a rookie passer on the active roster when the season starts or that Mike Kafka would make this team (although if he did, what a story that would be considering who the Patriots signed when he was cut).
Believe it or not, there are still other issues this team must deal with in other positions on this roster. Mini camp was great because it showed talent, but it also left questions unanswered and writers like me scratching their heads wondering what moves will be made in the five weeks prior to training camp.
Here are some issues this team still must deal with...
* The replacement for Justin Blackmon: I think it will be Mohamed Massaquoi who gets the start, but Jordan Shipley will play a major role and don’t count out Ace Sanders to see some touches as well. The Jaguars like Shipley and Sanders for their all out speed.
* Injuries on the defensive line: This may be most pressing. Jason Babin is out after surgery and Roy Miller is still dealing with tendonitis. Both are expected to play a major role on the line. Tyson Alualu has already been moved to end and Andre Branch may see time at Defensive end, LEO, and outside linebacker.
* Offensive line depth: The starting five at the beginning of the season will be Luke Joeckel and Eugene Monroe at tackles, Brad Meester at center and Uche Nwaneri and Will Rackley at guard. Cameron Bradfield, Jason Spitz, Mike Brewster all provide depth. There could be more linemen on the roster, but who really stands out in this crowd?
* If Maurice Jones-Drew cannot start: Does the team sign someone like Beanie Wells or maybe take a swing at Willis McGahee? Does a Cedric Benson make sense (yes!). The Jags have MJD, Justin Forsett and Denard Robinson listed as their three backs. Lonnie Pryor will make the team and possibly start.
* Is Jeremy Mincey done in Jacksonville? I think so, personally. But that remains to be seen. After signing a free-agent contract last season, he did little to impress last season and may have a hard time making this squad because of Tyson Alualu’s move outside and the play of Andre Branch. If Paul Hazel makes this team, he is out of here.
Return to: 1010XL Jaguars Blog Blog